Saturday, December 5, 2009

Latest Doctor Visit

I said in an earlier comment that my arms showed no reflexes when tested at a previous doctor visit. Well, thankfully, this time both arms tested fine. My doctor explained that if a patient is nervous or tense, his or her reflexes will often be subdued.

My legs showed hyperreflexia, though, which the doctor said may or may not mean something. He said hyperreflexia is seen across all disorders that affect the upper motor neurons, but is also commonly seen in the population at large.

My labwork all came back normal. My vitamin D was 39.9, which is good; it's at the lower end of normal. However, I take high doses of a vitamin D3 supplement (5,000 IU [international units] three or four days a week), so it seems a little odd to me that I'm not on the higher end of the scale. My doctor didn't seem too concerned, though; he just told me to continue with the high doses.

The doctor said that for now we'll look at my symptoms separately, since an overarching cause isn't clear. I don't really like that, since I'm certain there is one problem at the root of all my symptoms, but since he's the first doctor to take me really seriously and continue looking for an answer when one isn't immediately apparent, we'll do things his way. Who knows, maybe by looking at things in more detail, we'll start seeing clues that have been overlooked.

The doctor is ordering a cervical MRI to make sure I don't have pinched nerves in my neck (I've actually wondered about this myself, but there is just so much other stuff going on that it seems like it has to be connected). He's also sending me to another neurologist; he says this guy is really good and takes his time listening to his patients.

That's it, really. No news, but I wasn't really expecting any so soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment